If you are a speaker, author of coach you most likely understand the power of media in helping get your message out to the people who most need to hear it. As someone who coaches and trains people to start their own podcast people often ask me how they can be featured as guests on other's podcasts and internet radio shows.
The nice thing about being featured as a guest is that you don't have to do the heavy lifting! You "attend" the interview via phone or Skype and the podcast producer and host edits and distributes the episode for you.
Here are 5 tips for becoming a sought after internet radio and podcast guest:
1. Focus on the benefit to the listener: One of the biggest mistakes I see potential guests make when they try to pitch themselves as potential guests is that they focus on themselves and what they do. But the producer wants to know what value you will provide to the listener. Focus on what you can bring to the show and you will have a leg up on others seeking to be booked on shows.
2. Personalize your pitch: Have you ever received a letter in the mail addressed "To Whom It May Concern"? When you send a pitch that is not personalized it says that you can't be bothered to do the research and take the time to make your query more personal. It only takes a few minutes to personalize your pitch and it can make all the difference.
3. Develop a unique point of view: Podcast producers don't want guests who are going to tell their listeners what they already know. Define what is most unique and interesting about what you have to share. How will you surprise listeners? What stance can you take on a topic that is fresh and new? You have to go beyond the obvious.
4. Offer a "freebie": Every podcast and internet radio producer loves to be a hero to their audience. If you can give away something of value to listeners, let the producer know that in your pitch. That can be a very valuable added benefit of having you as a guest on their show.
5. Always come from a place of service: This is similar to #1, but slightly different. The more you focus on what you have to share with the world and come from a place of passion and service, the more likely it is that you will be booked on more shows. Additionally, be of service to the producer and host by promoting their show via social media and your email list, if you have one. When you come from a place of service, it creates goodwill that will lead to you become a sought after guest in your niche.
Doug Foresta is a veteran podcast producer, host and leader of the global Stand Out and Be Heard community of over 100+ podcasters. Doug helps speakers authors and coaches to get booked on podcasts and internet radio shows so that they can expand their reach and grow their business.
For a free consultation, visit www.dougforesta.net or call 413-883-5518.