Leap and a Net Will Appear...
Written by Lisa A. Barrett, M.S., LPC, ATR
Speaker | Author | Coach | Artist | Podcast Guest
For many of us, the idea of taking a leap can evoke fear-or, at the very least, caution-in both our professional and personal lives. Yet, to bring our dreams, desires, and goals into reality, at some point we must be willing to move into the unknown. And for many people, the unknown represents a place where they no longer feel completely in control.
That is why we may remain safely within our comfort zones, even when we aren't particularly happy there. We listen to the voice of the ego-what I sometimes refer to as "Edging Goodness Out"-and postpone or
resist the quiet beckoning of our own truth.
Perhaps you've heard yourself say:
"I've always wanted to go to Costa Rica."
"I have an idea that could really improve efficiency in my industry."
"I've wanted to collaborate with that person for a long time."
"I've always wanted to take cooking classes because I have such a passion for food."
And yet, we wait.
The truth is, this day will never come again.
So, what holds us back from taking that leap?
When the Unknown Feels Uncomfortable
Our minds naturally seek familiarity and predictability. When we contemplate stepping outside what is known and comfortable, uncertainty can trigger our stress response and bring up thoughts of fear, doubt, or
"What if?"
This is where we can easily become stuck.
But what if, rather than allowing those thoughts to make the decision for us, we learned how to pause and
respond differently?
This is at the heart of what I teach through Calm Clarity, found in the Neutral Zone: creating enough space between the emotional reaction and our response to consider another possibility.
What if I could do this?
What might happen if I took just one step?
What is my next right move?
The Leap Doesn't Have to Be Huge
Moving toward a dream or goal doesn't require changing your entire life overnight. In fact, it can be much simpler than our fearful thoughts would have us believe.
Start small.
Small, intentional action steps can make change feel more manageable and less overwhelming. Today, we also have extraordinary access to information and technology, including AI tools, that can help us research, learn, organize ideas, explore possibilities, and identify resources as we move forward.
Define your goal.
Write it down.
Allow yourself to believe in its possibility.
Create a mental image of what achieving it might look like-even if it is only a brief picture that flashes through your mind-and connect that image with a positive emotion.
Ask yourself:
If this were possible, what would it feel like?
Move into a place of openness, curiosity, and possibility.
Return to that place regularly. Quiet the fearful thoughts long enough to hear what I call your heart-centered truth.
Then take an action step.
It might be as simple as sending one email, spending ten minutes researching an idea, writing down the next few steps toward your goal, making a phone call, asking for an introduction, or using today's technology to find information, inspiration, or connection.
One step.
And then another.
Trusting Yourself Is Part of the Leap
Often, the greatest leap isn't external at all.
It is learning to trust yourself enough to give yourself permission to pursue what is calling you.
There are no guarantees that every dream will unfold exactly as we imagine. Sometimes the path changes. Sometimes what we discover along the way leads us somewhere entirely unexpected. But when we are willing to move forward, we discover something else.
We grow.
We become more courageous.
We develop greater confidence in our ability to navigate uncertainty.
And we often discover strengths and capabilities within ourselves that we didn't know were there.
Perhaps that, my friends, is the proverbial "Net."
Continue the Journey
These concepts are central to my book, How to Live an Empowered Life: Easy and Daily Practical Tools, where I share accessible tools designed to help you move from emotional reactivity toward Calm Clarity, reframe situations, and approach your personal and professional life from a more empowered place.
I am also available for professional speaking engagements, workshops, and individual coaching for professionals, parents, and educators.
Connect with Lisa A. Barrett, M.S., LPC, ATR
linkedin.com/in/lisa-barrett-lpc-atr-2266a421
https://www.youtube.com/@CalmClarity-LisaBarrett
https://www.amazon.com/How-Live-Empowered-Life-Practical/dp/B0G33GPQML
From Emotional Reactivity to Calm Clarity.

No comments:
Post a Comment